Bluff Dale is one of Central Texas’ small-town communities. Bluff Dale real estate is located in Erath County, TX. Erath County is located on the Edwards Plateau, so the county is elevated, providing residents with great views in many areas. The population in Erath County, as of 2013, was estimated to be 39,658. Other communities in this county include Stephenville, Dublin, Three Way, Morgan Mill, Huckabay, Selden, Alexander, Duffau and Clairette. Bluff Dale is only an hour and a half away from Dallas, one hour from Fort Worth, less than two hours from Waco and less than three hours from Austin, so this quaint and peaceful community is right in the midst of some incredibly popular cities.
Bluff Dale was originally referred to as Bluff Springs by pioneers that settled nearby. When the post office was established in 1877, the name was changed to Bluff Dale as it is known today. Jack Glenn donated the land for the development of the town in 1889. In 1908, Bluff Dale was incorporated and by 1915, it established a bank and newspaper called the Bluff Dale Sun. By 1989, the community had three churches, a school, a volunteer fire department, a study and garden club, a beautification committee and five historical markers. 680 residents were reported in 1836, 500 in 1940, 123 in 1980, and 300 by 1989. Then by 2000, Bluff Dale’s population dropped to 123. However, the community is now home to about 2,071 residents. Bluff Dale homes are extremely affordable and in a great location nearby Stephenville, Tarleton State University and also relatively close to some of Texas’ biggest and most well-known cities.
Bluff Dale has four historical markers: Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge, Bluff Dale Tabernacle, J. F. Warnock Hardware and Old Public Water Well. The Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge is actually a cable-stayed bridge that was built in 1891. The bridge is located across the Paluxy River and was constructed on a road that is now U.S. Route 377. This was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. It was closed to vehicular traffic in 1989 because it is wearing down and can’t be restored. The Bluff Dale Tabernacle was built in 1906 and is used for community events, homecoming, school graduations and funeral services. This was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1982 by the Texas Historical Commission.
The Old Public Water Well was dug up around 1887 by people who were working on the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad. This well is still used in emergencies and was restored in 1965
J.F. Warnock Hardware was opened in 1915 by Jeptha Franklin Warnock and has been passed on through his family for generations. The store features a brick parapet, wooden storefront and transom windows. This was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1984. Now it is a hardware supply store, a gift shop and a collection of antiques. The Texas Historical Commission presented the Warnock Hardware store with a Texas Treasure Business Award for their longstanding dedication to keeping the family business alive.
“Families such as this one and early businesses like Warnock Hardware helped grow Erath County and make it what it is today,” said County Judge Tab Thompson. “They deserve this recognition and we’re very happy for them.”