Living the green lifestyle is one of the best ways to get on Mother Nature’s good side. But a lot of the “green” products that are on the market can be pricey. From switching your household cleaners to retrofitting your Stephenville home with Energy Star appliances, it seems like a lot of today’s “green” movements require you to buy, buy, buy. But you don’t have to install solar panels and tankless water heaters to do your part. Here are five cheap ideas and pieces of advice when it comes to being green!
1. Resist the Urge to Buy- You’re going to be tempted at every turn, but you need to become part of the no-buy club if you want to truly be green. You know the old adage, “if it ain’t broke…” Well, in this riddle, if it ain’t broke, don’t replace it. When something like your air conditioner does eventually give up on you, look for energy-saving alternatives.
2. Buy Wisely- Look for non-toxic, biodegradable, and petroleum-free products. You’ll be able to see these indications on most labels, as they are clearly called out. Train your eye to spot them, but don’t get too hung up on reading labels or you’ll drive yourself crazy!
3. Break Out the Crockpot- Did you know that your crockpot is one of the most energy-efficient appliances in your Stephenville home? Well, it is. An electric oven heated to 350 degrees burns 2.0 kWh in an hour, whereas a crockpot at 200 degrees only uses 0.70 kWh over the seven-hour period it generally takes to cook something. So, fire up that crockpot and enjoy the wafting scent of a home-cooked meal when you fling open the front door!
4. Power Strips are Your Friend- Smart strips, more specifically, have the ability to sense when your devices are idle and they shut off the power supply. They cost about $25, but if you can get your computer and other energy-sucking equipment hooked up to one, you’ll see the savings on your electric bill in no time.
5. Reduce. Reuse.- Seems obvious, but many people still walk out of a room leaving lights, TVs, and radios on. When you’re not using them, switch off lights, turn down the heat, and give the water a break when you’re brushing your teeth.
Looking for a Stephenville home to call your own? Our team of local real estate experts would love to help you sort through the variety of amazing properties in the area. Please contact us today!